Cat laying on couch

Poison Prevention Week: March 18-24

As spring approaches, flowers are blooming and spring cleaning begins! This can be a dangerous time for our curious pets. Many plants and flowers (such as the bulbs of tulips and daffodils and all parts of lilies) are toxic to pets while others may be irritants. Many household products may be toxic or irritants as well.

Most symptoms of ingestion will be the result of irritation or inflammation, such as redness, swelling, or itchiness of the skin or mouth. At a toxic level, your pet may begin having difficulty breathing, may have drooling or difficulty swallowing, may experience vomiting or diarrhea or have an irregular heartbeat. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, remove the substance from your pet and contact your veterinarian immediately.

You may also contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 (a consultation fee may be charged to your credit card). The ASPCA Poison Control website also contains free information about the foods, plants and household products that may be harmful to your pets. Visit, ASPCA Poison Control website today to help keep your pet safe and healthy.